Michael J. Hammel
The Artist´s Guide to GIMP
Creative Techniques for Photographers, Artists, and Designers
As a full-featured, free alternative to Adobe Photoshop, GIMP is one of the wolrd´s most popular open source projects. The latest version of GIMP brings long-awaited improvements and powerful new tools to make graphic design and photo manipulation even easier - but it´s still a notoriously challenging program.
The Artist´s Guide to GIMP teaches you how to use GIMP without a tedious list of menu paths and options. Instead, as you follow along with Michael J. Hammel´s step-by-step instructions, you´ll learn to produce professional-looking advertisments, apply impressive photographic effects, and design cool logos and text effects. These extensively illustrated tutorials are perfect for hands-on learning or as templates for your own artistic experiments.
After a crash course in GIMP´s core tools like brushes, patterns, selections, layers, modes, and masks, you´ll learn:
- Photographic techniques to clean up blemishes and dust, create sepia-toned antique images, swap colors, produce motion blurs, alter depth of field, simulate a tilt.shift, and fix rips in an old photo
- Web design techniques to create navigation tabs, icons, fancy buttons, backgrounds, and borders
- Type effects to produce movie posters and package designs; simulate clouds, cracks, cloth, and underwater effects; and create specialized lighting
Whether you´re ne to GIMP or you´ve been playing with this powerful software for years, you´ll be inspired by the original art, creative photo manipulations, and numerous tips for designers.
- • Millions of GIMP users
• Students and open source advocates
• Artists, designers, creative types
Michael J. Hammel is an Embedded Software Engineer living in Colorado Springs. He´s been involved with the GIMP since version 0.59 and is listed as a contributor in the About dialog. Hammel writes a column on the GIMP for Linux Format magazine and has published two previous books on the GIMP-The Artist´s Guide to the GIMP (SSC) and GIMP for Web Professionals (Prentice Hall). The Artist´s Guide to the GIMP sold nearly 25,000 copies.